On Monday Filmon and I completed our code and began our final fabrication. Debugging took a long time, but I learned a lot throughout the process.

Our original Arduino code did not include arrays. We created questionsArray[], which contains all of the items for our pins. Then in our for first for loop, all of the pins are being read. We used (i + 2) because our pin starts at the number 2. Our if statements detect whether or not the state has been changed, which is detected by cycling through all of the values in the Boolean array previousState[]. If the state is changed from a 0 to a 1, the value in the array will remain a 1 until the 11th phototransistor “restart” is activated. The second for loop resets all of the values to 0. In doing so, the user is able to light up individual words that form strings. Then, the user shines the light on “Try Again” to continue playing the game.

An example of the variables being changed

The restart button is vital. We user tested and noticed that some students will accidentally misspell questions, which will not lead to a response. Hopefully the board will be easier to use once the fabrication is complete. When we wired the board, a lot of circuits would break due to faulty wiring. All of them work… for now.

Very early user testing

We redid our board. We removed the word “Want” and replaced that phototransistor with the reset option. I created very comical answers in p5.js. I am excited to complete the board tomorrow and present on Thursday.